Home adaptation is the way forward.
I came across an article called "10 of the most compelling reasons to consider buying a retirement village property" This I might add was before COVID 19 came into our world.
- Excellent facilities.
- A more suitable place to live.
- You will still own your own home.
- Holding on to independence.
- Access to help needed.
- Staying as a couple.
- Flexible accommodation.
- Sense of community.
- Less reliance on your car or public transport.
This seemed like a fair list to think about, so I went through each reason and tried to give a reason why someone would choose not to stay in their own home! So, my "Ten reasons why you should adapt your home and stay put"
- Adapt your home and garden you already have excellent facilities.
- What better place to live than the home you have, surrounded by memories & people you know?
- You own your home already.
- In your home you are independent, adapt to your needs and then adapt again.
- There are many in-home care companies with great reputations.
- So, you cannot be a couple in your existing home?
- Adapt your own home and garden to suit your needs.
- House alarms, neighbours, technology monitoring.
- You have lived in your home for over 20 years, I think there is no better sense of community already there.
- What happens if you want to go to the shop, pick your grandchildren up, call on a friend or visit the sea?
I do see the benefits for some people who may need round the clock care or their families live away and having them in a serviced apartment is piece of mind. But with what we know now is it better to stay in your existing home, adapt it. Be free to walk or sit in your garden and enjoy the surroundings. Holding on to your independence does not mean you need to give up.
"Everyone should be able to live in their own home independent, safe and with dignity"